Concept /Graphical Artist
This is an amazing opportunity for a strong 2D artist to join our existing AAA experienced team in the extremely exciting, challenging and varied role of in-house Concept Artist.
The Artist will be responsible for designing and creating high quality 2D artworks and illustration with a strong focus on conceptual design, composition, colour theory and illustrative competence. This opportunity affords a large amount of creative autonomy and as such requires a self-driven motivational quality in terms of inspiration and drive.
Working within an existing 2D / Graphics team, one will be working alongside proven 2D illustrators, supporting various elements of both the development and publishing teams. The presentation and integration of brand and graphical motifs when presenting artworks is as key as the illustration work itself.
The role will demand strong artistic capability and the accompanying communicative skills to discuss, critique and iterate a wide and varied spread of 2D creative content.
The Concept Artist will be heavily involved in several areas: -
- Visualising new concepts, IP and art styles for potential development.
- Conception of and production relative designs for real-time content.
- Exploration of 3D interactive UI elements and interactions
- Creating visual target illustrations, setting the tone, direction and benchmark for the 3D creation team.
- Storyboard creation of set piece action or narrative sequences.
- Creation of presentation documentation and layouts, showing and explaining a sense of Brand and visual identity.
Principle Concept / Graphics Artist:
Works incredibly closely in terms of direction, guidance, critiquing and mentoring with the existing Head of 2D concept creation. You’ll be working as a team of concept creators in order to inspire and help inform number of projects and styles.
Works closely with the Art Director with reference to visual direction, communication, quality and critiquing. Feedback and guidance in terms of levels of finish for applicable styles for relevant uses will discussed and agreed with / upon.
Works with and reports to the Game Director in all matters concerning the concept development and sign off procedure per Project.
Works within a team-orientated environment to maintain high quality artwork whilst applying their practical knowledge to the development process.
- Consistently demonstrate a strong and varied artistic capability via a series of well composed illustrations.
- Create concepts and illustrations in a timely manner displaying an “attention to detail” that shows or illustrates the potential for excellence.
- Fast and confident craftsmanship skills – the ability to quickly explores ideas, shapes and forms.
- Be able to employ a design process from reference, conception, exploration, concept development, to final style, finish and execution.
- Show an aptitude to tackle a wide spread of subject matters, finishes and forms - stylised to realistic.
- Utilize existing artworks into your work to quickly pre-visualise intended directions or styles.
- Effective time management, communicating and achieving a required level of finish within a given time frame.
- Ability to work as part of a larger team, working with members of the design and code teams, actively contributing to the development process.
- Demonstrate a solid working knowledge of Photoshop digital painting and any associated creative Cloud suite tools.
- Display a strong interest and understanding of the Digital Games Entertainment Software industry, and how concept development plays a role.
- Able to articulate and receive constructive feedback on their own and peers work.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Consistently strive to maintain or exceed the highest quality standards of the Art Department.
- A graduate of a Degree or equivalent qualification within a relevant discipline. Or at least 3 years’ relevant industry experience.
- Excellent working knowledge of Adobe’s Creative Suite.
- Demonstrable 2D graphical skills showing a strong foundation in art, layout and colour composition.
- Demonstrate a level of draftsmanship confidence and competency.
- An aptitude to apply themselves to new illustration styles, methods and levels of finish.
- Experience in working within a team environment – essential.
- 3D modelling skills within Maya or 3DSMax – desirable / helpful in assets creation.
- Experience in graphical layout, typography and InDesign – desirable.
- £TBC per annum dependent on experience.
- Full time, permanent contract.
- Designated free parking.
- Location - Farnborough, Hampshire, UK.
- Pension scheme.
- Share Option scheme.
- Childcare Vouchers.
- 20 days holiday per year, increasing by 1 day for each year of service up to 25 days (+ bank holidays, 2 duvet days & your birthday).
- Regular staff outings and social events.
apply download pdf job spec