Environment and Lighting Artist
We’re looking for a talented Environment & Lighting Artist to join us here at nDreams. Focusing exclusively on the VR platforms, we are at the frontier of new hardware and innovative methods of implementation. We are looking for someone that sees the potential in VR and to apply themselves to the studio’s goal of trail blazing fresh, creative and immersive uses of every discipline, to converge on truly innovative games and experiences. With the variety of projects and VR platforms currently being developed here at nDreams this role is guaranteed to offer new and exciting challenges to any artist challenging beyond what traditional developments can offer.
As an artist, you’ll be responsible for the creation and execution of high quality world building assets and general environment content and rendering across multiple genres and styles.
With a strong focus on level composition, including lighting and atmosphere as much technical excellence, the individual will have ownership of entire sections of gameplay. Working with veterans of the industry further personal development, mentoring and peer critiquing will form the bases of an excellent creative environment, fostering self-improvement and ownership.
This opportunity affords an amount of responsibly and as such requires a self-driven motivational quality. Working alongside various development disciplines the role will encourage strong communicative skills, both visually and verbally.
The Environment Artist will be heavily involved in a number of areas;
- Level Ownership - Owning and being responsible for entire levels and sections of play.
- Composition - Bringing concept art into fruition through well-established Grey box process to Static mesh block out to full prop placement and dressing.
- Lighting and Atmosphere - The creation and set up of distinctive and intentional lighting scenarios, utilising positive and negative space to deliver mood and tone as much as draw the player through a composed 3D space.
- Dynamic and gameplay interaction - Works extremely closely with the VFX team to help push the interactive and atmospheric elements to any setting or world.
If you are passionate about quality art, pushing creativity and immersion to new levels in VR, then we’d love to hear from you.
This opportunity affords an amount of autonomy across multiple projects and platforms and as such requires a self-driven motivational quality. Working alongside multiple development teams whilst following direction via the Art Director. Strong communicative skills, both visually and verbally plus a keen technical aptitude towards new software are key.
- Own and deliver the execution of 3D environments and supporting assets for internal product development.
- Digest and understand art direction and complement with 3D modelling assets and composition.
- Able to create and iterate the development of high quality 3D environmental assets.
- Work within a team of 3D artists to deliver a cohesive and considered environment aesthetic.
- Effective effort, time management and delivery of time boxed of tasks.
- Effectively communicate and illustrate environmental intentions and iterations to Game Directors and other stake-holders.
- Grow and maintain an internal dialog with all cross-discipline teams throughout development.
- Show a solid working knowledge of contemporary real-time engines (UE4 & Unity) and their respective capabilities.
- Work with a level of self-driven autonomy whilst reliably and effectively participating in team development.
- Demonstrate an ability to follow specific visual pillars and follow given projects with an established art direction.
- Demonstrate a wide range of styles techniques and varied executions of 3D asset creation to meet a diverse range of stylisation or genres.
- Have a demonstrable understanding of 3D modelling: environment and props development best practice.
- A good demonstrable sense of composition, lighting, form and colour.
- Consistently deliver high quality 3D assets (environment and props).
- Can work as a part of a team and also on your own initiative.
- Show a strong working knowledge of 3D asset development: Form, sculpting, surface detail, material creation, LODs, Foliage design and implementation etc.
- Demonstrate a strong technical aptitude and knowledge base for appropriate software and real-time engine use, UE4, Unity for example.
- An intricate working knowledge of Maya and Z-Brush’s 3D modelling tools and pipelines.
- Have experience with asset pipeline management and development.
- Proven ability to interpret and translate Art Direction consistently across environments and props assets.
- Ability to deliver on a varied selection of asset styles, from realistic to stylised.
- Strong time management skills with the ability to prioritise effort.
- Able to articulate and receive constructive feedback on their own and peers work.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A well-tempered and consistent attitude to sustain an open effective team dynamic.
- Consistently strive to maintain or exceed the highest quality standards of the Art Department.
- Implement, troubleshoot and debug 3D asset pipeline and modelling tools / systems.
Useful Additional Skills & Experience
- Unreal 4 competency.
- Exposure to concepting, presenting reference in the creation of worlds. Utilizing content to communicate a cohesive world with a sense of place and believability.
- Autonomously capable of defining and creating effective working practices in terms of data structure, work flow and source control best practices.
- Experienced and capable of assessing and maintaining both hardware and engine performance via profiling tools.
- Capable with cinematic framing, composition, timing and cinematography.
- illustrative skills are a bonus when integrated into the world building process.
- £TBC per annum dependent on experience.
- Full time and permanent.
- Designated free parking.
- Location - Farnborough, Hampshire, UK.
- Pension scheme
- Share Option scheme
- Childcare Vouchers
- 20 days holiday per year, increasing by 1 day for each year of service up to 25 days (+ bank holidays, 2 duvet days & your birthday)
- Regular staff outings and social events