Freelance VFX Artist
We’re looking for a talented and experienced VFX Artist to join us here at nDreams onsite as a freelancer to help evolve the perception of VFX and general motion within VR. Focusing exclusively on the VR platforms, we are at the frontier of new hardware and innovative methods of implementation. A new and increased sense of depth allows for creative and innovative ways to ramp up the perception VFX bringing emersion and motion to the forefront of VR.
With the variety of projects and VR platforms currently being developed here at nDreams this role is guaranteed to offer new and exciting challenges to any VFX Artist, challenges beyond what traditional developments can offer.
As a VFX artist you’ll be responsible for both the artistry of your work as much as its perception in an all-encompassing VR space. We value the power of VFX as much as the technical prowess required to deliver them in real-time, as such the VFX artist will be challenged to push their visual repertoire, explore new executions, craft and deliver VFX that follow demanding and interpretive art styles.
If you are as passionate about quality VFX pushing creativity and immersion to new levels in VR, then we’d love to hear from you.
This opportunity affords a large amount of autonomy across multiple projects and platforms and as such requires a self-driven motivational quality. Working alongside multiple development teams whilst following direction via the Art Director. Strong communicative skills, both visually and verbally plus a keen technical aptitude towards new software and Real-time VFX are key.
The VFX Artist will be heavily involved in several areas: -
- Having a stake in the early development of VFX concepts and styles to ensure both visual quality as much as technical compliance.
- Concepting or Visualising VFX when proving new art styles and rendering executions.
- Work extremely closely with the Character and Animation team to assist and create various character based VFX solutions or materials.
- Help push the quality of visual effects and processes
- Play a key role in early development of entire products art style and rendering executions.
Works with the Art Director in the conception and proving of new concepts or specific render styles for various projects
Working together, you’ll help to path find and present various real-time styles across multiple platforms, whilst constantly pushing the quality of nDreams’ visuals and VFX aspirations forward.
Works with and reports to the Game Director in all matters concerning the entire VFX design and creation process.
Principal VFX Artist:
Works with and alongside the existing Principal in VFX. Taking feedback, direction and assistance from, plus being able to autonomously research, path find and execute varies directions of VFX.
Works within a team-orientated environment to maintain the highest quality artwork, evangelise their specialism, illustrate the effectiveness of VFX where ever possible, whilst applying their practical knowledge to the development process of an entire product.
- To create a variety of styles of real-time VFX throughout multiple aspects of game development, Including characters or weapon-based effects to environmental or destructive elements.
- Demonstrate a strong technical aptitude and knowledge base for appropriate software and real-time engine use, UE4 / Unity for example.
- A basic to strong understanding of rigging and skinning solutions and potential for physics driven or simulated appendages.
- Have a fundamental understanding of animation, timing and weighting with reference to animated VFX or pre-canned sequences.
- Show the conception and development process of various visual styles and methods of VFX execution.
- Show prowess and an intimate working knowledge of shader development within VFX and their real-time application on a variety of platforms.
- Ability to compose, light and execute on well rendered scenes to produce key art renders.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to prioritise their own work schedule.
- Able to articulate and receive constructive feedback on their own and peers work.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Consistently strive to maintain or exceed the highest quality standards of the Art Department.
- A graduate of a Degree or equivalent qualification within a relevant discipline. Or at least 1 years’ experience in the games industry.
- Real-time engine experience, ideally in both Unreal and or Unity.
- Excellent working knowledge of Maya and the Adobe Creative Suite tool set.
- Demonstrable 3D skills showing a strong understanding of technical console limitations and capabilities.
- An aptitude to apply themselves to new technologies.
- Minimum of one published product within the Console, PC, VR or Mobile space.
- Experience in working within a team environment – essential.
- Ability to effectively critique their own and others work, respectfully.
- Location - Farnborough, Hampshire, UK
- Freelance Contract.