Principal Environment Artist
We’re looking for a talented Principal Environment Artist to join us here at nDreams. Focusing exclusively on the VR platforms, we are at the frontier of new hardware and innovative methods of implementation. We are looking for someone that sees the potential in VR and to apply themselves to the studio’s goal of trail blazing fresh, creative and immersive uses of every discipline, to converge on truly innovative games and experiences.
The Principal Artist will be responsible for the creation and execution of high quality world building and general environment content across multiple genres and styles. With a strong focus on technical excellence as much as creative flare, the individual will have ownership of the process and the further development of the Environment team, both internal and external.
This opportunity affords a large amount of autonomy and as such requires a self-driven motivational quality. Working alongside development teams, publishing partners and Studio Directors, the role will demand strong mentoring and communicative skills, both visually and verbally.
The Principal Environment Artist will be heavily involved in a number of areas;
- Visualising or having a stake in the development of world concepts to ensure suitably aspirational designs whilst meeting both game design and technical requirements.
- Path-finding in terms of the grey box process and the blocking out of a solid, well composed foundation for any 3D scene or setting.
- Works extremely closely with the VFX team to help push the interactive and atmospheric elements to any setting or world.
- Help carve the Environment team from the ground up in terms of defining quality, process and attitude.
- Drive the execution and direction of 3D environments and props assets for internal product development.
- Digest and understand art direction and complement with 3D modelling assets and composition.
- Able to create and direct the development of high quality 3D environmental assets and props.
- Enable a team of 3D artists to deliver a cohesive and considered environment aesthetic.
- Predict, estimate, plan and measure 3D modelling development effort.
- Proven at planning / specifying any additional technology requirements.
- Effectively communicate and illustrate environment and props intentions to Game Directors and other stake-holders.
- Grow and maintain an external freelancer development pool to meet dynamic project requirements.
- Show a solid working knowledge of contemporary real-time engines (Unreal and Unity) and their respective capabilities.
- Work with a level of self-driven autonomy whilst reliably and effectively participating in team development.
- Work alongside the Art Director to develop and demonstrate a wide range of styles techniques and varied executions of 3D asset creation to meet direction briefs.
- Demonstrate strong understanding and wide capability as the 3D modelling team principles.
- A good sense of composition, lighting, form and colour.
- Capacity for a diverse range of stylisation in the form and rendering of worlds and models.
- Have a demonstrable understanding of 3D modelling: environment and props development best practice.
- Consistently deliver high quality 3D assets (environment and props).
- Can work as a part of a team and also on your own initiative.
- Show a strong working knowledge of 3D asset development: form, sculpting, surface detail, material creation, LODs, foliage design and implementation etc.
- Demonstrate a strong technical aptitude and knowledge base for appropriate software and real-time engine use, UE4, Unity for example.
- An intricate working knowledge of Maya and Z-Brush’s 3D modelling tools and pipelines.
- Have experience with asset pipeline management and development.
- Proven ability to interpret and translate art direction consistently across environments and props assets and manage team to consistently deliver against those requirements.
- Ability to deliver on a varied selection of asset styles, from realistic to stylised.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to prioritise their own work schedule.
- Able to articulate and receive constructive feedback on their own and peers work.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A well-tempered and consistent attitude to deliver an effective environment, conducive to mentoring.
- Consistently strive to maintain or exceed the highest quality standards of the Art Department.
- Implement, troubleshoot and debug 3D asset pipeline and modelling tools / systems.
USEFUL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Exposure to creating worlds. Utilizing concept materials and appropriate reference to communicate and deliver a cohesive world with a sense of place and believability.
- Career development and management of team members.
- Autonomously capable of defining and creating effective working practices in terms of date structure, work flow and source control best practices.
- Experienced and capable of assessing and maintaining software performance via profiling tools, best working practices and judgement.
- Cinematic framing, cinematography and editing experience.
- Fast and succinct Story boarding capabilities.
- Strong illustrative skills are not essential but are a bonus when integrated into the world building process.
- £TBC per annum dependent on experience.
- Full time, permanent contract.
- Designated free parking.
- Location - Farnborough, Hampshire, UK.
- Pension scheme
- Share Option scheme
- Childcare Vouchers
- 20 days holiday per year, increasing by 1 day for each year of service up to 25 days (+ bank holidays, 2 duvet days & your birthday)
- Regular staff outings and social events