Principal Level Designer
We’re looking for a talented Principal Level Designer to join us here at nDreams to lead the delivery of consistent, well executed and creative levels across multiple projects which are fitting to briefs. Focusing exclusively on the VR platforms, we are at the frontier of new hardware and innovative methods of implementation.
We are looking for someone that sees the potential in VR and to apply themselves to the studio’s goal of trail blazing fresh, creative and immersive uses of every discipline, to converge on truly innovative games and experiences.
As the Principal Level Designer you will responsible for managing and leading the level designers. You will be able to navigate comfortably between a mix of hands on detail and contributing to the wider picture. Collaborating closely with the Creative Director, Game Directors and Level Designers in helping to ensure nDreams develops world class games and experiences. Through experience, direction and measurable performance leadership you will mentor and elevate members of the level design team.
- As the main point of contact of Level Design across the studio projects you will manage and lead world class level design output across multiple projects, from concept through to final product release.
- You will lead design implementation of environmental locations, mission scenarios, interactive elements, etc. Iterating up to the highest quality.
- Ensure work is appropriately developed, presented, documented and communicated throughout the Game Team and wider Development Team.
- Work closely with design team members to plan the work of other designers. Managing their efforts and determining a schedule according to priorities.
- Help continually assessing and improving the design implementation pipeline and processes, ensuring that nDreams methodologies stay at the forefront of industry best practice, are commercially efficient and well organised.
- Manage, mentor and raise the standard of Level Designers technical expertise and ability to apply best Level Design practices.
- Competently be able to measure employees’ success, supporting with consistent and regular feedback.
- Be an outstanding, highly skilled and experienced Level Designer.
- High level of technical expertise at using Unreal and ideally Unity to design, implement and iterate on levels and prototypes.
- Be able to use and teach others level design software, such as Unreal and /or Unity to the highest level.
- Creativity, critical and analytical sense, structure and rigor.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, documentation skills and the ability to convey abstract concepts succinctly and effectively.
- Ability to work well independently and within a team.
- Strong performance and accountability being driven by results and achieving targets. Paying attention to detail and committed to producing work of the highest standard within budget.
- Ability to plan organize and prioritize work. Identifying and managing risk of workload both for yourself and of those in your teams.
- Deal comfortably with people at all levels. Influencing others through reasoned argument that a recommended course of action is the most appropriate and is correspondingly open to influence by others.
- 5+ years’ experience as a Level Designer.
- Good general knowledge of most all aspects of game development processes from concept to completion.
- You will have a passion for VR and games across multiple platforms.
- Experience of supervising designers.
- Knowledge of competitive products and a variety of gameplay genres and platform
- A passion for VR and games across multiple platforms.
- Be able to use prototyping software, such as unity to the highest level.
- Agile /Scrum experience would be an advantage.
- Shipped a AAA title.
- £TBC per annum dependent on experience.
- Full time and permanent.
- Designated free parking.
- Location - Farnborough, Hampshire, UK.
- Pension scheme.
- Share Option scheme.
- Childcare Vouchers.
- 20 days holiday per year, increasing by 1 day for each year of service up to 25 days (+ bank holidays, 2 duvet days & your birthday).
- Regular staff outings and social events.