This is an amazing opportunity for an experienced Lead Animator to join us here at nDreams to help evolve the perception of character animation and general motion within VR. Focusing exclusively on the VR platforms, we are at the frontier of new hardware and innovative methods of implementation. A new and increased sense of depth allows for creative and innovative ways to ramp up the perception animation, bringing emersion and motion to the forefront of VR.
We are looking for someone that sees the potential in VR and to apply themselves to the studio’s goal of trail blazing fresh, creative and immersive uses of every discipline, to converge on truly innovative games and experiences.
As a Lead Animator, you’ll be responsible for both the artistry of your animation as much as its perception in an all-encompassing VR space. We value the power of animation and the impact it can have when gelling a cohesive and innovative sense of style and presentation. If you are as passionate about quality animation, pushing creativity and immersion to new levels in VR, then we’d love to hear from you.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
This opportunity affords an amount of autonomy across multiple platforms and as such requires a self-driven motivational quality. Working alongside multiple development teams whilst following direction via the Art Director. Strong communicative skills, both visually and verbally plus a keen technical aptitude towards new software and Real-time animation are key.
The Lead Animator will be heavily involved in many areas: -
- • Understand Art direction and complement with motion.
- • Able to Create and Direct Quality Animation.
- • Enable a team of Animators to deliver a cohesive and considered animation aesthetic.
- • Predict and Measure Animation effort required.
- • Effectively communicate and illustrate animation intentions to Game Directors and Stake-holders.
- • Instigate and maintain external animation freelancers or Outsource development.
- • Show a good working knowledge of contemporary real-time engines (Unreal and Unity) and their respective animation capabilities..
- • Proven at motion planning / specifying any additional technology required.
- • Build a strong working relationship and creative understanding with Game Directors, Art Director and Project Stake Holders.
- • Nurture a creative cross discipline attitude towards development.
- • Proactive in problem solving and task seeking in all matters animation or cross discipline related.
- • Actively take part in project critiquing and suggesting / applying animation knowledge to problem solve or in an additive sense.
- • Foster and Coral a respectful culture of team wide Animation Critiquing.
- • Mentoring good animation practice across the team.
- • Work alongside the Art Director to develop and demonstrate a wide range of styles techniques and varied executions of animation.
- • Actively self-initiate proposals and demonstrations of new and innovative animation styles and executions where appropriate.
- • Demonstrate a strong understanding and wide capability as an animator.
- • Seeing beyond the delivery of the animation discipline and spending further efforts to help conceive and deliver competitive, creative and innovation experiences.
- • Managing and Agile ethos and development style, and ensuring the animation teams role in cross discipline scenarios.
- • Have a fundamental understanding of animation, timing and weighting.
- • Be able to work as a part of a team and also on your own initiative.
- • Show a strong working knowledge of traditional and digital 2D and 3D animation.
- • Demonstrate a strong technical aptitude and knowledge base for appropriate software and real-time engine use, Maya, UE4, Unity for example.
- • Have experience with motion planning and the creation of locomotion animation sets.
- • A solid understanding of rigging and skinning solutions and potential for physics driven or simulated appendages.
- • Show an understanding and execution on a varied selection of animation styles, from realistic to stylised.
- • Excellent time management skills with the ability to prioritise their own work schedule.
- • Able to articulate and receive constructive feedback on their own and peers work.
- • Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- • Consistently strive to maintain or exceed the highest quality standards of the Art Department.
- • Work with a level of self-driven autonomy whilst reliably and effectively participating in team development.
- • A graduate of a Degree or equivalent qualification within a relevant discipline. Or at least 3 years’ experience in industry.
- • Real-time engine experience, ideally in both Unreal and or Unity.
- • Excellent working knowledge of Maya.
- • Demonstrable 3D real-time animation skills, showing a strong understanding of technical limitations and capabilities.
- • An aptitude to apply themselves to new technologies and experience of working in a team environment is essential.
- • Minimum of one published product within the Console, PC, VR or Mobile space.
- • Ability to effectively critique their own and others work, respectfully.
Salary & Contract
- • £TBC per annum dependent on experience.
- • Full time, permanent contract
- • Location - Farnborough, Hampshire, UK.
- • Farnborough, Hampshire, UK.
- • Pension scheme.
- • Share Option scheme.
- • Childcare vouchers
- • Core hours
- • 20 days holiday per year, increasing by 1 day for each year of service up to 25 days (+ bank holidays, 2 X duvet days & your birthday).
- • Regular staff outings and social events.