Principal Environment Artist
The Principal Environment Artist is a key role within nDreams’ internal development team and you will work alongside other vertical art managers, (Character, 2D Concept & UI, Animation, VFX) to manage and direct the 3D Environment team within the studio at Farnborough.
You will collaborate closely with other discipline managers within Code and Design and the development leadership team (Art, Design, Code, Production) to help coordinate the 3D Environment & Props team output with the rest of the development team.
As Principal Environment Artist you will add experience, direction, and measurable quality output to the Environment team.
The role reports into the Art Director.
- • Drive the execution and direction of 3D environments and props assets for internal product development:
- • Digest and understand art direction and complement with 3D modelling assets
- • Able to create and direct the development of high quality 3D environmental assets and props
- • Enable a team of 3D artists to deliver a cohesive and considered environment aesthetic
- • Predict, estimate, plan and measure 3D modelling development effort
- • Proven at planning / specifying any additional technology requirements
- • Effectively communicate and illustrate environment and props intentions to Game Directors and other stake-holders
- • Grow and maintain an external freelancer development pool to meet dynamic project requirements
- • Show a solid working knowledge of contemporary real-time engines (Unreal and Unity) and their respective capabilities
- • Work with a level of self-driven autonomy whilst reliably and effectively participating in team development
- • Work alongside the Art Director to develop and demonstrate a wide range of styles techniques and varied executions of 3D asset creation to meet direction briefs
- • Demonstrate strong understanding and wide capability as the 3D modelling team Principal:
- • A good sense of composition, lighting, form and colour
- • Capacity for a diverse range of stylisation in the form and rendering of worlds and models
Key Skills & Experience
- • Have a demonstrable understanding of 3D modelling: environment and props development best practice
- • Consistently deliver high quality 3D assets (environment and props)
- • Can work as a part of a team and also on your own initiative
- • Show a strong working knowledge of 3D asset development: Form, sculpting, surface detail, material creation, LODs, Foliage design and implementation etc.
- • Demonstrate a strong technical aptitude and knowledge base for appropriate software and real-time engine use, UE4, Unity for example
- • An intricate working knowledge of Maya and Z-Brush’s 3D modelling tools and pipelines
- • Have experience with asset pipeline management and development
- • Proven ability to interpret and translate Art Direction consistently across environments and props assets and manage team to consistently deliver against those requirements
- • Ability to deliver on a varied selection of asset styles, from realistic to stylised
- • Excellent time management skills with the ability to prioritise their own work schedule
- • Able to articulate and receive constructive feedback on their own and peers work
- • Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- • A well-tempered and consistent attitude to deliver an effective environment, conducive to mentoring
- • Consistently strive to maintain or exceed the highest quality standards of the Art Department
- • Implement, troubleshoot and debug 3D asset pipeline and modelling tools / systems
Desirable Skills & Experience
- • Exposure to creating worlds. Utilizing concept materials and appropriate reference to communicate and deliver a cohesive world with a sense of place and believability
- • Career development and management of team members
- • Autonomously capable of defining and creating effective working practices in terms of date structure, work flow and source control best practices
- • Experienced and capable of assessing and maintaining software performance via profiling tools, best working practices and judgement.
- • Cinematic framing, cinematography and editing experience
- • Fast and succinct Story boarding capabilities
- • Strong illustrative skills are not essential but are a bonus when integrated into the world building process
Salary & Contract
- • Full-time, permanent contract
- • Rate, dependent on experience
- • Location - Farnborough, Hampshire, UK.