Senior Gameplay Programmer
We’re looking for a talented Senior Programmer to join us here at nDreams to help build innovative, satisfying game experiences and robust, responsive code systems. Focusing exclusively on the VR platforms, we are at the frontier of new hardware and innovative methods of implementation.
If you have a keen sense for the look and feel of game mechanics and enjoy working closely with designers to realise their ideas in software, please apply to join our team!
What Will You Be Doing?
- • Working closely with the design department to ideate, plan, implement and balance gameplay systems and player-facing mechanics.
- • Writing stable, readable and modular C++ code that makes best use of Unreal Engine and its game framework.
- • Exposing carefully chosen and documented variables to the design team so they can balance and customise game systems.
- • Communicating technical designs for game systems to code and design leads.
- • Helping QA to understand game systems and their properties so they can test and verify work accurately.
- • Collaborating with production to estimate timescales for feature implementation and issue resolution.
- • Profiling and optimising existing code and systems.
- • Taking ownership of key features and mentoring junior members of the team, ensuring a stable codebase and great player experience.
Who Are We Looking For?
- • A knack for making game mechanics feel right – the ability to combine smoothing and hysteresis with visual, audio and haptic feedback to create convincing and fun interactions.
- • Advanced knowledge of C++ programming - Ability to write readable, safe and performant code utilising design patterns and software engineering.
- • 3D maths and data structures - Thorough knowledge and proficient application of 3D maths, rendering algorithms and data structures, along with performance-minded development and optimisation skills.
- • Leadership skills - Comfortable taking your part in steering the programming team and giving constructive feedback to peers. Understanding where work is needed, the technical requirements for the game, and how to bring people and technology together to get the job done
- • Collaborative - An empathetic individual who can collaborate with a multi-discipline team, empowering artists and exchanging ideas/technical plans with the design team.
- • Self-learning and mentoring - Someone with a desire to research, learn, and improve their own knowledge, and pass that knowledge on to others.
- • Communication skills - Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an ability to communicate your work to both technical and non-technical people to help them overcome issues.
- • Proven experience developing high-quality features for published PC, console or mobile titles in a professional team or studio environment.
- • Experience working professionally with Unreal Engine 4.
- • Bonus: Experience developing Virtual Reality apps for mobile, console or PC.
Why Join nDreams?
The team at nDreams encourages an open, creative and diverse culture. As part of our growing studio you’ll be empowered to explore your ideas and put your own stamp on the titles you work on.
We offer some great perks, including flexible core hours, share options, 20 days holiday (increasing yearly to a maximum of 25 days), two duvet days, a day off to celebrate your birthday and various monthly socials (including Breakfast Butty Monday and Free Drink Friday)! Our welcoming, open plan office has some great facilities with a cycle station, showers and more all on site.
The role is a will be remote working for an initial period and based in our modern studio in Farnborough, UK, within easy commuting distance from London and Guildford. Salary is competitive and dependent on your experience.
If you think this could be the role for you, we’d love you to get in touch! Drop us your CV via the link below or via firstname.lastname@example.org