Senior Unreal Network Programmer
We’re on the lookout for a super-talented Senior Unreal Network Programmer to come and work on one of our forthcoming “we’d love to talk about it but can’t at the moment” cutting-edge VR network games! Intrigued? Read on…
You’ll need to have plenty of experience working with Unreal making networked games, an ability to translate design concepts into working systems which synchronise effectively in a multiplayer title and solid performance and bandwidth optimisation knowledge. You’ll also need great collaborative and communication skills that allow you to convey complicated technology concepts to a cross-discipline mix of people! Sound like you? Then get in touch!
What Will You Be Doing?
- • Planning, implementing and supporting networked game features in Unreal using the in-built Unreal networking technology and tools to deliver an effectively networked game that performs gracefully under real-world conditions.
- • Generating and maintaining a detailed backlog of the work that is required, highlighting and mitigating risks and uncertainties in the technical plan, and providing good timescale estimates for development.
- • Making best use of Unreal Engine’s networking features, authoring any required documentation and materials that allow people to use your systems efficiently, and creating automated validation that ensures everything functions as intended.
- • Liaising with and training code staff and other disciplines on best practices for networking game features effectively.
- • Consulting with game team members to establish reasonable and pragmatic bandwidth and other network-related budgets for the game’s use cases of Unreal networking.
- • Profiling and optimising network performance within game levels and test levels.
- • Ensuring that automated network-related metrics are sent to our central telemetry reporting system so network performance can be monitored over time.
- • Being a key contact for networking best-practice within the studio.
Who Are We Looking For?
- • Advanced knowledge of C++ programming - Ability to write readable, well-structured, reliable and performant code utilising design patterns and software engineering.
- • 3D maths, optimisation and data structures - Thorough knowledge and proficient application of 3D maths, algorithms and data structures, along with performance-minded development and optimisation skills.
- • Unreal game networking - Proven technical competence in shipping networked titles in Unreal, working directly on networked game features. Platform-specific networking knowledge. Deep knowledge of underlying architecture of how Unreal networks games, plus understanding of real-world networking infrastructure. In-depth experience-gained knowledge of the pitfalls that Unreal networked games fall into and design patterns, team working processes and implementation techniques to avoid them.
- • Collaboration skills - Comfortable collaboratively driving the future direction of Core Tech alongside studio technical leadership, various project leads, domain specialists and with feedback from users of core tech systems. Ensuring your team are working in collaboration with relevant parties to deliver robust, efficient, well-integrated and intuitive systems, tools, process and pipelines that are pragmatically useful and welcomed.
- • Technical planning - Understanding the forthcoming needs of the games. Owning the ongoing evolving requirements and plans for our technology.
- • Team Management - Having managed technical teams before with experience of helping a technical team plan and deliver cutting edge technology while retaining good work/life balance and enjoying taking the time to help them develop their careers.
- • Delivery - Ensuring your teams delivered systems are provided in a timely manner, are proven to work correctly and enhance the capabilities of the end users with streamlined workflow, while maintaining a vision for future maintenance and expandability.
- • Self-learning and mentoring - Someone with a desire to research, learn, and improve their own knowledge, and pass that knowledge on to others.
- • Drive and passion - Someone who is able to self-motivate, working with enthusiasm, and who is genuinely passionate about working in the games industry making VR games.
- • Communication skills - Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an ability to communicate your work to both technical and non-technical people.
- • Proven experience leading a team delivering high-quality technology for published PC, console or mobile titles in a professional team or studio environment.
- • Substantial experience working professionally with Unreal Engine 4 on shipped networked titles, with extensive networked feature development.
- • Bonus: Experience developing Virtual Reality apps for mobile, console or PC.
Why Join nDreams?
The team at nDreams encourages an open, creative and diverse culture. As part of our growing studio you’ll be empowered to explore your ideas and put your own stamp on the titles you work on.
We offer some great perks, including flexible core hours, share options, 20 days holiday (increasing yearly to a maximum of 25 days), two duvet days, a day off to celebrate your birthday and various monthly socials (including Breakfast Butty Monday and Free Drink Friday)! Our welcoming, openplan office has some great facilities with a cycle station, showers and more all on site.
We are looking to fill permanent and Fixed Term Contracts, remote working for an initial period. We are currently refurbishing our studio in Farnborough, UK (within easy commuting distance from London and Guildford) and plan to be a fully hybrid working office from April. Salary is competitive and dependent on your experience.
If you think this could be the role for you, we’d love you to get in touch! Drop us your CV via the link below or to email@example.com