Our artists believe in the power of VR to immerse and entertain players like no other medium. We’re seeking a Technical Artist to collaborate with and support the team, ensuring their content looks great in-game whilst adhering to the technical constraints of projects and hardware. Whether you’re a games industry veteran or an experienced VFX TA/TD who’d like to make a change, we’d love to hear from you.
What Will You Be Doing?
- • Collaborating with environment artists to plan and review their work, investigating world-building techniques and identifying performance pitfalls.
- • Liaising with VFX artists to design efficient materials and particle systems for delivering spectacular effects.
- • Consulting graphics and engine programmers to understand the technical constraints of project, engine and hardware.
- • Reviewing creative processes to identify areas that could be improved with tooling, engine features or automated systems.
- • Writing scripts (or generating specifications for programming work) to improve workflows.
- • Reviewing and profiling game performance. Discussing any issues with programmers and artists to diagnose and address.
- • Locating and absorbing technical documentation for engine features or new techniques. Recommunicating relevant information to a potentially less technical audience.
Who Are We Looking For?
- • Professional experience working in the games or VFX industries as a technical artist or content creator.
- • Knowledge of 3D modelling techniques and pipelines that bring art from modelling software into a game engine.
- • Understanding of material/shader authoring – either using node-based systems or a language such as HLSL.
- • A variety of skills and experience in technical content creation – for example these might include: 3D modelling, LOD generation, rigging, material/shader authoring, VFX creation, lighting, vertex animation, destruction and physics, etc.
- • Familiarity with a large game engine like Unreal 4, Unity, Lumberyard etc. (or proprietary equivalent e.g. Anvil, Frostbite).
- • Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to talk to team members from all disciplines in a clear and concise manner.
- • A practical and balanced style, with a calm approach to resolving issues. Able to listen, empathise and see others’ perspectives.
- • An enthusiastic individual who believes in Virtual Reality as a medium to entertain and engage people.
- • Although not required, knowledge of programming/scripting languages (particularly Python, C++ or Unreal Blueprint) would be beneficial.
Why Join nDreams?
The team at nDreams encourages an open, creative and diverse culture. As part of our growing studio you’ll be empowered to explore your ideas and put your own stamp on the titles you work on.
We offer some great perks, including flexible core hours, enhanced maternity and paternity leave, 20 days holiday (increasing yearly to a maximum of 25 days), two duvet days, a day off to celebrate your birthday and various monthly socials (including Breakfast Butty Monday and Free Drink Friday)! Our welcoming, open plan office has some great facilities with a cycle station, showers and more all on site.
We are looking for permanent and fixed term contractors to be based in our modern studio in Farnborough, UK, within easy commuting distance from London and Guildford. Salary is competitive and dependent on your experience.
If you think this could be the role for you, we’d love you to get in touch! Drop us your CV via the link.