Here at nDreams we believe in the transformative potential of VR! We are looking for someone who shares our passion and vision to join us as we embark on the next phase of our growth. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone to help shape the future direction, expansion, and capability of the Code Department as we continue our journey.
As the Technical Director at nDreams you’ll be working alongside our Chief Development Officer to develop and implement the technical strategic roadmap for one of the world’s biggest VR game studios. This exciting opportunity offers the chance to shape the future direction, expansion, and capability of the Code Department at nDreams whilst working collaboratively with team members across the breadth of the company.
What Will You Be Doing?
- • Work with the Chief Development Officer (CDO) to develop and track nDreams’ strategic technical roadmap
- • As the primary go-to person for the Executive Team; (CDO, CPO, CFO and CEO) you’ll also be the nDreams Code Department representative both internally and externally
- • Taking inputs from the Executive Team and other relevant stakeholders, determine and set departmental goals and KPIs and manage progress towards them. When necessary, revisit and modify assumptions and manage resulting change across the Code Department
- • Steering, guidance, oversight and ultimate responsibility for delivery of accurate Code Department planning and organisation, including but not limited to; resourcing, project runways, inter-departmental dependencies, technical capability evaluations across all Code sub-disciplines, engines, pipelines, tools and processes
- • Ultimate accountability for the engineering delivery and excellence of all nDreams games and products
- • Collaborating with the other Heads of Department and your direct reports to codify, monitor and adapt our development processes and capabilities to ensure we stay up to date with best industry practices, refining them as necessary to fit with our culture, strategy and goal of being one of the leading developers of VR entertainment in the world
- • Supporting and guiding your reports and, by proxy, leading the performance management and capability of the Code Department, setting clear goals, inspiring, educating and mentoring both individuals’ personal, and the Code Department’s growth and overall capability
- • Through your direct reports, maintaining project awareness of milestones and other key project deliveries and ensuring that all stakeholders are kept informed of code development progress, issues and risks – where risks are identified, be proactive in establishing potential solutions and mitigations and when necessary, collaborate with the other HoDs and relevant stakeholders to ensure the right approach is being pursued
- • Ultimate accountability for all Code Department hires; direct and support the Code Manager in the prioritisation and key skills requirements of new hires. Where appropriate, assist / supervise reviewing, interviewing, shortlisting of candidates and, together with the Chief People Officer, provide final approval of offers to prospective candidates
Who Are We Looking For?
- • Attitude – remaining positive and solution orientated, empowering others and taking responsibility whilst being respectful and skilled at compromise.
- • Performance and accountability – being results-driven, achieving goals, paying attention to detail, demonstrating drive, commitment and focus to producing work of the highest standard of quality and creativity whilst also focusing on autonomous delivery.
- • Leadership and Motivation – leading by example to promote the effectiveness of the team, enabling and inspiring others to do their very best through successful collaboration and teamwork.
- • Team work – taking personal responsibility to help the team to achieve results through sharing and delegation. Managing workloads, personal emotions, stress and the time of both yourself and of other team members. The successful balance of the team is dependent on everyone looking out for each other and working together.
- • Communication and relationships – collaborating effectively in order to gain the cooperation and support of people in other teams; in addition, the ability to communicate clearly through email and at meetings, with the means to build relationships at all levels.
- • Planning and organising – prioritising work, identifying and managing risk, and managing your own workload alongside the workloads of your staff in the project teams.
- • Client Focus – maximizing your own contribution to the business by delivering work to the best of your ability to the clients (internal and external) at every opportunity
- • Interpersonal Skills – dealing comfortably with people at all levels. Responding with enthusiasm to changes in direction and communicating with positivity and professionalism at all times.
- • BSc. in computer science, or equivalent
- • 7 years professional game development experience, including at least 3 shipped titles including at least 1 current generation (PS4 / Xbox) console title
- • Proven track record of hands-on code team / sub-team leadership and achievement
- • An experienced programmer and software engineer
- • Strong technical knowledge
- • Proven, demonstrable knowledge of game development processes including programming languages, C# or C++
- • Detailed knowledge and understanding of build processes and game development tools and pipelines
- • Knowledge of optimisation, multi-threaded development and cross-platform development
- • Strong, leadership, interpersonal and people management skills
- • Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal
- • Works proactively with diligence and accountability
- • An analytic problem solver with a strong sense of autonomy
- • A committed team player,recognising the importance and value of people within a technology environment
Why Join nDreams?
The team at nDreams encourages an open, creative and diverse culture. As part of our growing studio you’ll be empowered to explore your ideas and put your own stamp on the titles you work on.
We offer some great perks, including flexible core hours, share options, 20 days holiday (increasing yearly to a maximum of 25 days), two duvet days, a day off to celebrate your birthday and various monthly socials (including Breakfast Butty Monday and Free Drink Friday)! Our welcoming, open plan office has some great facilities with a cycle station, showers and more all on site.
We are looking to fill permanent and Fixed Term Contracts, remote working for an initial period. We are currently refurbishing our studio in Farnborough, UK (within easy commuting distance from London and Guildford) and plan to be a fully hybrid working office from April. Salary is competitive and dependent on your experience.
If you think this could be the role for you, we’d love you to get in touch! Drop us your CV via the link below or to email@example.com.